Monday, September 20, 2010

Water For Elephants



Have any of you guys read this book? I just finished it today and was pretty blown away by it! My friend Erin gave it to me just about a year ago now and it sat in my pile of "to read" books until last week. I just kept rotating it to the bottom of the pile, for no apparent reason except for the fact that it didn't seem to grab my attention. Lots of people reccommended it but after reading the back, I just didn't think I'd be into it.

A couple weeks ago I heard that Robert Pattinson was going to be playing the main character in the film adaptation of this book, and....what with my Twilight obsession and all, I was very excited. I have this need to always read a book before I watch the movie so I dug it out of the pile and started reading it. I figured I'd just read a couple of pages every night until I finished...but I ended up devouring it in a few days.

The writing is impeccible. A critic wrote that the writing style and storyline are reminiscent of Robertson Davies, and one of my favourite books happens to be his Fifth Buisness, and this critic was so right....they were so similar! The storyline pulled me in and I was so into the characters that I couldn't put it down. I was also fascinated by the history it gives of what it was like to work on a circus and live that sort-of exotic lifestyle.

Anyways, I just thought I'd share...I highly reccommend this for anyone who isn't sure what to read next!

No comments:

Post a Comment