Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Welcome!

Hi everyone, and welcome to my "crafty" blog!

My Grandma taught me to knit when I was only 6 and I've been addicted to working with my hands ever since. I knit, crochet, cross-stitch, and quilt. I also went through a short-lived beading phase a couple years ago. It didn't stick.

I had to abandon knitting and crocheting a few years ago because I was working in a garden center and spent most of my time watering flowers. Between holding a hose for hours on end every day, and knitting non-stop, my wrists became almost un-movable. I couldn't continue doing both at the time, and had to choose watering over knitting for the obvious reason that if I stopped, all of the flowers would die and my boss would have been really mad! I still make the occasional dishcloth for my Grandpa, and still teach a friend to knit every now and then, but I haven't made an afghan in about 3 years.

I started learning to quilt in July. I work in a grocery store and the cake decorator there is an amazing quilter. We used to chat about our projects every day, and she offered to teach me quilting in return for me teaching her to cross-stitch. It's worked out very well! I've completed 1 and 3/4 quilts, and am heading over to her house tomorrow to start searching for a new pattern. It isn't a consistent thing though. I have to be in the right kind of mood to quilt.

What I'm really into right now is cross-stitching. My best friend taught me a year and a half ago how to and I love it. I've made 3 small-ish projects and am now working on a BIG one. It's a Heaven and Earth Design pattern called Sir Fredrick Frosty. I bought it in December, worked on it diligently for about a week, and haven't touched it since.

I'm hoping that blogging about my work will help me to stop procrastinating! In the past when I worked on cross-stitch projects I've been obsessed with them and have worked on them non-stop until they were finished. This isn't quite the case with Sir Fredrick. Likely because of his size and intricateness. I'm trying to get over it, suck it up, and get to work!

So...here I am! Yay!

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the addictive world of blogging. The comments fellow stitchers leave about your work should be motivation enough to work on Sir Frederick. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to "bloggie world" :) Your projects look lovely. My favorite is the cat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to blogging. You have a great start. I find that the comments people leave keep me motivated.

    http://flossjunkie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete