Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Huron Shores Rotary Race!

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to run in a really great race, and one that supported a charity that's really important to me.

Erin and I took off around 6pm Friday night and headed for Southampton, the town my Grandpa lives in, to run in the Huron Shores Rotary 10k Saturday morning. I had been up since 4am working, and....long story short, we ended up lost at 11:30pm in a town with no gas stations or convenience stores, then I hallucinated people on bikes (turned out to be a stop sign), and then, around 1am, we ended up at my Grandpas, and I will forever be made fun of for getting lost on the way to somewhere I've driven to a hundred million times.

Saturday started off pretty shaky with extreme thunderstorms and torrential downpours. We headed down to the main street anyways since we had no way to listen to the news to find out if it was cancelled, since the power was out! It was postponed for a half hour, someone had seen a tornado, and nobody could figure out what to wear....it was cold, but would it be humid along the shoreline? Would it keep raining? Should we wear the shirts they handed out?

Anyways, it turned out to be an awesome race....it ran along the shore of Lake Huron and was breathtaking. It was my most challenging race to date...my stomach was not impressed with something I had eaten the day before, but we both had a great time.

More importantly, the race raised $14,000 for mammogram machines for the hospital. I ran this race for my Grandma who passed away 9 years ago at only 59, and if the hospital had had those machines back then, she might still be here. So...YAY for such a successful event!! Here are some pics :-)

Me, Erin, and our ponchos LOL

Trying to Stay Warm
Erin Finishing....only 20 seconds away from breaking 1 hour!
Me finishing!
With my Grandpa :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment