Sunday, March 20, 2011

Herb of The Week: Nutmeg

Keeping with my weekly theme, I cooked with nutmeg tonight. This is a spice that is usually associated with baking...pumpkin pie is always the first thing that comes to my mind. I learned from Rachael Ray that it's really delicious when used in dark leafy green recipes.

Tonight I used nutmeg in a kale recipe....


I've always used ground nutmeg, but Erin gave me a clove (?) today so I grated it, and it tastes amazing! Check out the inside of the nutmeg....cool!



Spicy Kale

Heat 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil in a pan. Add 1 cup of chopped red onion, and cook until tender.

Add a cup of veggie stock, and wilt in a couple big handfuls of chopped kale. Add a couple pinches of crushed red pepper flakes, and a few grates of nutmeg. Cook until kale is all wilted, and top with a squeeze of lemon juice!

4 comments:

  1. Nutmeg is one that I have a hard time with liking. I use fresh grated nutmeg in our pumpkin pies but I don't eat those. Your dinner looks delicious and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who would have thought?! Looks good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy...looks very delicious. I love trying new recipes and I love kale...so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUMMM!!!! Kale is one of my favorite veggies and now I'm hungry!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete