Saturday, January 7, 2012

Mmmmm Coconut!


My roommate and I went to a nutritionist a few months ago and he encouraged us to eat more fat....imagine that!!! Not Big Mac type fat though, it had to be natural fats, found in foods like coconuts. We started putting coconut milk in our oatmeal (delicious!!) and cooking with coconut oil.

Then yesterday I was reading a magazine and came across a huge article about coconut oil and all of the benefits it has. Coconut oil has something in it called medium-chain fatty acids, which are a unique group of fats that are absorbed into active cells, which are used by your body for energy, growth, and repair.  They neutralize free-radicals (cancer-causing cells), and also reduce inflammation. Cool!

According to the article I read, they can:

-help you lose weight because they prompt your liver cells to burn fat 50% faster than normal

-speed up the production of white blood cells, which fight off infections, therefore preventing colds and flu!

-make your hair soft and shiny (massage 2 tbsp into dry hair and scalp, leave on 30 mins, then shampoo)

-heal irritated skin (dab onto trouble spots twice daily)

-speed up your thyroid glands

-relieve feminine dryness (I'll let you figure this one out LOL)

Anyways, I like to cook with it because it gives things a sweet flavour...I find that it takes the edge off bitter veggies. I also melt it and use it with vinegar and lemon juice as a homemade salad dressing....yummy!

I have stitching updates too! I'll share later :-) Enjoy your weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Funny but I just saw coconut oil at the store yesterday. I remember a big fuss that they popped movie popcorn with it and people were worried about the dangerous 'fats'. I love the idea. Gonna get me some! hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm....I think I might try some. I'll have to look for it at the grocery next time - thanks for all the info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! Thanks for the info. These are all good things to know. I am putting coconut oil and milk on my grocery list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting. I like coconut milk with rum and pineapple - is that healthy LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. very interesting Jodie...would love to know more...guess I will do some research...
    something has got to change, that is for sure....

    ReplyDelete